Tag Archives: quilting


IMG_0686 IMG_0683 IMG_0684 IMG_0681

I was really pleasantly surprised with how well the repair of Dan’s quilt went. Most of the quilting went smoothly and easily with just a bit of puckering at the edges. I think next time I would pull everything tight and then trip the edges and put on a binding. I used meander quilting and made sure to cross all the seams as often as possible since those are the weakest area of the quilt. I’ll definitely do this same process on my old blue and white quilt to rescue it as well. That one has only  a few small tears.

Quilt rehab

IMG_0672 IMG_0673 IMG_0674

Before I learned to quilt my quilts, I tied them. While it’s a nice idea, it doesn’t make for a very long lasting quilt. I made this cheery quilt for Daniel about 9 years ago and it’s coming all apart. I’ve made him other quilted quilts since then but he really wanted this one repaired. I decided to give it a go. There’s already a longish tear along one edge of the quilt so I took out all the remaining ties and then pulled the old batting out. I turned the quilt inside out and sewed up as many of the surface tears as I could, most were along original seam lines. Then I cut some batting to size and turned the quilt right side. It won’t be nice and smooth like making a new quilt but I think I can do some stipple quilting that’ll give it a second chance on life. If it turns out well then I’ll do the same with a blue quilt I made for my bed the same year.

Farmer’s Wife blocks

IMG_0510 IMG_0511

Just a few more! My block savers are full now so next it’ll be time to sew.

A few more Farmer’s Wife blocks

IMG_0536 IMG_0537


Scissors workout

IMG_0482 IMG_0483 IMG_0484 IMG_0485 IMG_0488 IMG_0489

Snip snip here and a snip snip there

IMG_0466 IMG_0468 IMG_0476 IMG_0477 IMG_0478 IMG_0479 IMG_0481

Cutting out more Farmer’s Wife blocks!

Farmer’s Wife blocks

IMG_0452 IMG_0453 IMG_0454 IMG_0455 IMG_0456 IMG_0459 IMG_0464

It’s been awhile since I found time to work on some Farmer’s Wife blocks. The quilt shop where I was taking classes closed. Now that I don’t cart it back and forth, I have put my templates into some containers that are easier to browse through. As I finish each block, I check the size against my 6 1/2″ square ruler to see if it passes muster. Yesterday I sewed the four remaining blocks for which I had pieces cut. Even the scary one turned out fairly well!

Fishy borders

IMG_0262 IMG_0260

The borders took a little longer. The pattern photo shows 6 blue background colors but it’s written for only 1 so it took a bit of figuring out. I have 4 background colors. I used a multicolor binding the first time around but this time I’m planning to use a mix of the same blues I used for background. I took a trip out to the quilt shop and bought a large flowery batik backing in turquoise shades. Now, I have to think about how I want to quilt it.

Slippery fish, slippery fish, sliding through the water


I’ve had blocks done for this larger version of Up a Lazy River for ages. I’ve finally found time to get on with this quilt! I even had most of the setting triangles cut and just needed to add 2 or 3 more to finish the quilt top.

the kind of a biscuit that’s supposed to bounce back off the wall into your mouth


Ricochet is finished and I’m really happy with the result. Clearly I need to stock up on this fun stripe fabric for future baby quilts!